The love and care of a father is as essential as the gentle nurture of a mother. It is the care, protection and guidance of a loving father that acts as a lighthouse for a person. Throughout history, famous personalities have commented on fathers, whether speaking about their own or talking in general terms.
Uncommon Quotes brings you some of the best quotes on fathers that you may get on the net. Enjoy these father quotes and share the complete assortment with your friends and loved ones. You may use these short quotes about fathers to send special Father’s Day messages to your dad via SMS messages, e-cards, greeting cards or gift cards. These famous quotes about fathers are just what you need to make great Father’s Day quote messages.
Famous Father Quotes
- Father! – to God himself we cannot give a holier name. ~ William Wordsworth.
- Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone.
- Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father! ~ Lydia M. Child, Philothea: A Romance, 1836.
- Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope. ~ Bill Cosby.
- When one has not had a good father, one must create one.~ Aziza Friedrich Nietzsche.
- Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.~ Ruth E. Renkel.
Father Son Quotes / Father And Son Quotes
Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner or later…that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could, out of a sense of duty and, perhaps love, adopted a role called Being a Father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life.
- It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons. ~ Johann Schiller.
- The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty with the son who neglects them.~ Confucius.
- A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father.~ Gabriel García Márquez.
- He who is taught to live upon little owes more to his father’s wisdom than he who has a great deal left him does to his father’s care.~ William Penn.
You may also like: Mother and Sone Quotes
Father Son Relationship Quotes
When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.~ William Shakespeare.
It is a wise father that knows his own child.~ William Shakespeare.
It is a wise child that knows his own father.~ Homer.
Read more about Long Distance Relationship Quotes
Fathers Day Quotes from Son
For thousands of years, father and son have stretched wistful hands across the canyon of time.~ Alan Valentine.
Dad, you’re someone to look up to no matter how tall I’ve grown. ~ Anonymous.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~ Mark Twain, “Old Times on the Mississippi” Atlantic Monthly, 1874.
Father Daughter Quotes / Quotes About Fathers And Daughters
- A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again.~ Enid Bagnold.
- Be kind to thy father, for when thou wert young, Who loved thee so fondly as he? He caught the first accents that fell from thy tongue, and joined in thy innocent glee.~ Margaret Courtney.
- How true Daddy’s words were when he said: “All children must look after their own upbringing.” Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.~ Anne Frank.
- None of you can ever be proud enough of being the child of such a Father who has not his equal in this world – so great, so good, so faultless. Try, all of you, to follow in his footsteps and don’t be discouraged, for to be really in everything like him none of you, I am sure, will ever be. Try, therefore, to be like him in some points, and you will have acquired a great deal.~ Queen Victoria of England.
Father Daughter Relationship Quotes
- It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.~ Anne Sexton.
- My father was very strong. I don’t agree with a lot of the ways he brought me up. I don’t agree with a lot of his values, but he did have a lot of integrity, and if he told us not to do something, he didn’t do it either.~ Madonna.
- There’s something like a line of gold thread running through a man’s words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself. ~ John Gregory Brown (Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery), 1994.
- He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.~ Clarence Budington Kelland.
Ger more: Relationship Love Quotes
Best Father Quotes
- The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.~ Henry Ward Beecher.
- By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.~ Charles Wadsworth.
- Becoming a father is easy enough, but being one can be very rough.~ Wilhelm Busch.
- Every parent is at some time the father of the unreturned prodigal, with nothing to do but keep his house open to hope.~ John Ciardi.
New Father Quotes
- The place of the father in the modern suburban family is a very small one, particularly if he plays golf.~ Bertrand Russell.
- If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right.~ Bill Cosby.
- Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!~ Lydia M. Child.
- Fathers are biological necessities, but social accidents.~ Margaret Mead.
- Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.~ Anthony Brandt.
Good Father Quotes
- My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, “You’re tearing up the grass”; “We’re not raising grass,” Dad would reply. “We’re raising boys”.~ Harmon Killebrew.
- One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.~ George Herbert.
- I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.~ Sigmund Freud.
- That is the thankless position of the father in the family-the provider for all, and the enemy of all.~ J. August Strindberg.
Liked these father quotes and sayings? Use any of the social bookmarking buttons underneath to share them with your friends and dear ones. Ideally, you should also bookmark this page to return to this collection at any time you like.